A playlist of cool things for cool kids!


Kids rock! There's no question about it. They are simply much cooler than you and me. This playlist is for those of us just trying to keep up with these mod toddlers and hip preschoolers. It's about promoting children's books, music, and other media that rock just as much as our kids do. Check out something cool for your cool kid.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Yo Gabba Gabba

A friend of mine once said that all kids are on acid. Which I took to mean they experience life as full of magic and music,  in vivid color, attended by dancing robots and monsters, and in thrall to a benevolent disco puppetmaster. Which basically describes this show. Yo Gabba Gabba! (hey!) I felt a slight prick of guilt as my son watched a Super Music Friend Show segment featuring Cornelius performing their heavy psychedelic number Count Five or Six while stars sprung forth from the forehead of -- was that a unicorn? I had to pinch myself.  I was tempted to ask him if he was seeing what I was seeing.  

But there's more:  Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh does the art segment. Biz Markie hosts a Beat of the Day. Guest stars have included the Shins, Tony Hawk, and Laila Ali. There is great music by Dean & Britta, Mark Kozelek, and others. Children's programming on TV is typically askew (see also: Teletubbies, The Muppet Show, H.R. Pufnstuf, etc.) but this show is pretty screwy by any standard.  Check it out. 

You can buy episodes on iTunes or catch it on Noggin/Nickelodeon.